Learn everything about the revolutionary automation platform at a glance: 10 reasons for ctrlX AUTOMATION as well as an overview of the product portfolio.
Maximum precision for motion, robotics and CNC
Much more than motion control: the highlights of ctrlX MOTION
With ctrlX MOTION, users have everything they need for the intelligent automation of production machinery and systems.
This broad scope of action is made possible by the modern app-based software architecture. Bosch Rexroth’s decades of experience in motion applications flow into the ctrlX AUTOMATION platform and are reflected in web-based development environments that enable low-code programming.
The benefit for the user:
- Shorter time-to-market
- Less development effort
- Industry solutions available
- Quick creation of user programs
- Fewer automation components
- Highest productivity
Flexible ctrlX MOTION architecture for a wide range of applications:
ctrlX MOTION can be used both controller-based and drive-based and enables a wide variety of applications.
The features of ctrlX MOTION:
Control for complex high production machines
With one control, all axes of a high-end machine can be coordinated in different kinematics and coordinate systems. The high-performance motion system enables efficient and fast engineering.
High speed & highest performance
This central feature of ctrlX MOTION relies on multicore performance and enables the fastest movements.
- The latest multicore technology for parallel code processing and maximum system velocity.
- Intelligent task management for an efficient program flow. The fastest motion commanding is made possible by synchronous EtherCAT tasks. Cyclic tasks allow deterministic data exchange and free-running tasks the shortest possible reaction times.
ctrlX MOTION is the ideal control configuration for any application – be it in a drive or as an embedded solution. The app-based motion software supports single-axis positioning through to coordinated motion.
Free choice of programming language
By using ctrlX MOTION, developers can quickly and easily achieve their customized solution. With any programming languages such as Blockly, Python, IEC 61131, PLCopen or C/C++, functions can be created as apps and combined freely. The functions can be created in different programming languages and communicate with each other and with the application via the ctrlX Data Layer.
Simple and intuitive engineering
The graphical programming system and web-based access support fast commissioning and shorten the time-to-market. The product configurator provides support for machine configuration, and ctrlX COREvirtual makes it easy to create a digital twin, for example.
Apps and technology functions
Above all, ctrlX MOTION is characterized by its expandability and therefore adapts exactly to the user’s needs. Numerous apps are available from Bosch Rexroth that expand the system’s range of functions. Third-party apps and all open source-software can also be added at any time.
The ctrlX MOTION app runs on ctrlX CORE, ctrlX DRIVEplus with ctrlX CORE and on ctrlX COREvirtual as a simulation application. It provides the basic motion functions for single axis positioning. This concerns the operation of the axes in positioning mode as well as speed or torque control:
- PLCopen library
- Operation of gantry axis sets with torque, position or speed coupling
- Override setting in % for velocity and/or acceleration/deceleration
- Movment of the axes up to the fixed stop with defined torque
- Use of REST API commands for move command
The range of functions of the ctrlX MOTION app can be expanded with optional technology packages for robotics and handling or even systems with axis synchronization requirements, such as the Cartesian in-app from Bosch Rexroth.
This app option extends the basic motion functions with specific functionalities for Cartesian handling applications such as:
- Coordinated path movements
- Jog motion for complete kinematics
- Belt synchronization
- Collision detection of servo axes in three dimensions
- Smoothing movements with spline curves
- Additional coordinate systems e.g. for product or end product
The IDE app (Integrated Development Environment) supports simple engineering and provides various development environments (coding, debugging, etc.) with which program sequences for ctrlX CORE can be created. It is currently available in two versions:
- Textual Coding provides a web-based development environment (code editor, console, debugging, etc.) with native ctrlX CORE connectivity. It can be used to create Python scripts or edit files in the active solution.
- Visual Coding offers a programming framework (code editor, debugger, project management, configuration, etc.) for creating programs based on visual elements and Python. The active editor language can be switched at any time, so that collaborative work is possible.
Additional technology functions ensure higher dynamics and productivity. They provide important support, particularly in the handling application area:
- Vibration Damping: The active vibration function increases performance and enables improved product quality. Unwanted vibrations caused by highly dynamic movements are minimized. Sensitive products can thus be moved at high velocity and faster cycles can be achieved. The app allows for reduced settling time and increased accuracy. This provides the mechanical system with appropriate protection and a longer service life.
- Smart Energy: This smart app enables intelligent energy management, ensuring energy and cost savings. The app reduces the need for peak power by 50% and electricity needs by 30%. Smaller components in the mains connection reduce hardware costs. They also reduce the cost of providing peak power and energy.
- Hybride Position: The hybrid position control enables highest performance and positioning accuracy for motion systems with mechanical slip. The motion is separated into a dynamic part of the motion with fast motor encoder. Positioning accuracy and slip correction are achieved, for example, by means of a laser sensor in the precision movement area.